News for 'District Reserve Guard'

Sardar Patel wanted to unite Kashmir with India, but...: Modi

Sardar Patel wanted to unite Kashmir with India, but...: Modi

Rediff.com31 Oct 2025

Prime Minister Narendra Modi led the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas celebrations at the Statue of Unity, commemorating Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel's birth anniversary with a unity pledge and parade.

Security forces recapture Naxal-occupied hill after 9 days

Security forces recapture Naxal-occupied hill after 9 days

Rediff.com1 May 2025

A hill with an altitude of 5,000 feet, once a hub of the Maoists along the Chhattisgarh-Telangana border, was reclaimed by the security forces after driving out the extremists following nine days of intense anti-Naxal operation, official sources said.

RJD pointed a katta at Cong's head: Modi in Bihar

RJD pointed a katta at Cong's head: Modi in Bihar

Rediff.com2 Nov 2025

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday claimed that the Congress had been unwilling to accept Tejashwi Yadav as the Indian National Developmental Inclusive Alliance (INDIA) chief ministerial candidate and relented only after the Rashtriya Janata Dal pointed a 'katta', an unlicensed country-made gun, at its head.

Maoist attack: Will establish peace in Chhattisgarh, says CM Sai

Maoist attack: Will establish peace in Chhattisgarh, says CM Sai

Rediff.com7 Jan 2025

Eight police personnel and a civilian driver were killed in a Naxal blast in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district on Monday. The blast, which was carried out using a 60-70 kg improvised explosive device (IED), occurred near Ambeli village under Kutru police station area. The victims were travelling in an SUV when the blast occurred. The incident marks the biggest attack on security forces in Chhattisgarh in two years. Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai and other state leaders paid homage to the deceased at a wreath-laying ceremony in Dantewada.

30 Maoists, cop killed in 2 encounters in Chhattisgarh; toll 113 in 2025

30 Maoists, cop killed in 2 encounters in Chhattisgarh; toll 113 in 2025

Rediff.com20 Mar 2025

In a fresh offensive against Naxals, security forces killed at least 30 members of the banned CPI-Maoists in two separate encounters in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region on Thursday, officials said.

Eight Maoists killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur

Eight Maoists killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur

Rediff.com1 Feb 2025

Eight Naxalites were killed in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district on Saturday. The gunfight broke out in the forest when District Reserve Guard and Special Task Force of the state police along with Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and CoBRA (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action) were out on an anti-Naxalite operation. An Insas rifle and a barrel grenade launcher (BGL) were among the weapons recovered from the encounter site. This brings the total number of Naxalites killed in separate encounters in the state this year to 50.

Maoists blame surrendered cadres for Basavaraju's killing

Maoists blame surrendered cadres for Basavaraju's killing

Rediff.com27 May 2025

Maoists have admitted that 28 cadres, including their top leader Basavaraju, were killed in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region last week. The Naxals also claimed that some of their cadres had surrendered to police and provided information that led to the operation. Police have recovered a large cache of weapons, including an AK-47 looted by Basavaraju from security forces in a 2010 ambush.

Upper castes bag 22 JD-U tickets, Muslims get 4

Upper castes bag 22 JD-U tickets, Muslims get 4

Rediff.com16 Oct 2025

Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar's Janata Dal-United made public the names of candidates for all 101 seats it will be contesting in the assembly polls, with more than half of them from the backward and extremely backward classes.

Security beefed up for slain village guards' houses in J-K's Kishtwar

Security beefed up for slain village guards' houses in J-K's Kishtwar

Rediff.com9 Nov 2024

Security forces have cordoned off the area after the brutal attack by the terrorists.

50 Naxalites surrender ahead of Modi's Chhattisgarh visit

50 Naxalites surrender ahead of Modi's Chhattisgarh visit

Rediff.com30 Mar 2025

The Naxalites, 10 of whom are women, turned themselves in before senior officials of the state police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), he added.

10 Naxalites killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh's Sukma

10 Naxalites killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh's Sukma

Rediff.com22 Nov 2024

Ten Naxalites were killed in an encounter with security personnel in Chhattisgarh's Sukma district on Friday, a senior police official said. The gunfight broke out in the morning in a forest within the jurisdiction of the Bhejji police station when a joint team of security personnel was out on an anti-Naxalite operation. The operation was launched based on inputs about the presence of Maoists belonging to Konta and Kistaram area committees of Naxalites on forested hills of Korajguda, Dantespuram, Nagaram and Bhandarpadar villages. Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai hailed security forces and said the era of peace and progress has returned to the Bastar region, which includes Sukma.

Long hunt ends: Maoist chief Basavaraju gunned down

Long hunt ends: Maoist chief Basavaraju gunned down

Rediff.com21 May 2025

Nambala Keshav Rao alias Basavaraju, the powerful general secretary of Communist Party of India-Maoist killed in an encounter along with 26 others on Wednesday, had masterminded several major attacks on security forces in Chhattisgarh and his death is a big blow to the armed movement, said officials.

Cop, Naxalite killed in encounter in Chhattsigarh's Kanker

Cop, Naxalite killed in encounter in Chhattsigarh's Kanker

Rediff.com3 Mar 2024

The gunfight occurred in a forest near Hidur village under Chhotebethiya police station limits, where a joint team of security personnel was out on an anti-Naxal operation, Inspector General of Police (Bastar Range) Sundarraj P said.

Maoist behind killing of 3 cops killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh

Maoist behind killing of 3 cops killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com17 Jan 2024

The skirmish took place in the forest near Mangnar village under Barsur police station limits, he said.

Assam: 1 dead in clash between evicted people, cops

Assam: 1 dead in clash between evicted people, cops

Rediff.com17 Jul 2025

At least one person was killed and several others, including policemen, were injured in a clash between evicted people and security personnel in Paikan Reserve Forest in Assam's Goalpara district on Thursday, an official said.

2 STF jawans killed, 4 hurt in Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh

2 STF jawans killed, 4 hurt in Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com18 Jul 2024

The incident took place on Wednesday night in Tarrem area when a joint team of security personnel was returning after an anti-Maoist operation in forests on the tri-junction of Bijapur-Sukma-Dantewada districts, a police official said in Bijapur.

Maoists call for peace talks as search op in Chhattisgarh enters Day 5

Maoists call for peace talks as search op in Chhattisgarh enters Day 5

Rediff.com25 Apr 2025

A massive anti-Naxal operation involving around 10,000 security personnel along the Chhattisgarh-Telangana border entered its fifth day on Friday, with the Maoists reportedly issuing a statement calling for a halt to the exercise and initiating "peace talks." The statement, circulating on social media, claims that the government is resorting to repression and violence despite the possibility of resolving the issue through dialogue. The operation, considered one of the largest counter-insurgency actions in the Bastar region, involves personnel from various units including the Chhattisgarh police, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), and its elite CoBRA unit. The operation, launched on Monday in the densely forested hills of Karregutta and Durgamgutta along the inter-state border, is aimed at targeting PLGA battalion No. 1, the strongest military formation of the Maoists.

How security forces trapped and killed 31 Naxalites

How security forces trapped and killed 31 Naxalites

Rediff.com11 Feb 2025

Combat units of the Chhattisgarh police's District Reserve Guard (DRG), Special Task Force (STF) and Bastar Fighters were mobilised from different directions in the area on February 7, the official said.

Three Maoists killed in encounter with police in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada

Three Maoists killed in encounter with police in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada

Rediff.com24 Dec 2023

A cache of explosives and weapons was also seized from the encounter site, he added.

7 Maoists killed in encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh

7 Maoists killed in encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com23 May 2024

Altogether seven firearms have been recovered from the encounter site, he said.

Dantewada attack: Tragic end for 5 ex-Maoists who sought fresh start as cops

Dantewada attack: Tragic end for 5 ex-Maoists who sought fresh start as cops

Rediff.com27 Apr 2023

Of the ten police personnel who lost their lives in a Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district, five had joined the force after quitting Maoist violence, a senior official said on Thursday.

14 Maoists gunned down in Chhattisgarh

14 Maoists gunned down in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com21 Jan 2025

Earlier on Monday, two women Naxalites were killed and one CoBRA jawan was injured in an encounter during the same operation, they said.

3 CRPF jawans killed, 14 hurt in Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh

3 CRPF jawans killed, 14 hurt in Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com30 Jan 2024

Among the three slain personnel, two belonged to the CoBRA's 201st battalion and one to the CRPF's 150th battalion, a senior police officer said.

Chhattisgarh Maoist encounter toll rises to 31 as 3 more bodies recovered

Chhattisgarh Maoist encounter toll rises to 31 as 3 more bodies recovered

Rediff.com5 Oct 2024

With this, the number of Maoists killed in the gun battle with the security personnel on Friday has risen to 31, they said, adding that a search operation is still underway in the area.

11 women among 31 Naxals gunned down in Chhattisgarh

11 women among 31 Naxals gunned down in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com10 Feb 2025

In one of the deadliest blows to Naxalites in Chhattisgarh, security forces on Sunday gunned down 31 rebels, including 11 women, in a fierce encounter in the state's Bijapur district, police said.

The C P Radhakrishnan You Didn't Know

The C P Radhakrishnan You Didn't Know

Rediff.com9 Sep 2025

'In my 26 years at Raj Bhavan, working with more than ten governors, I can tell you C P Radhakrishnan Sir stands out.'

177 security personnel die by suicide since 2019 in Chhattisgarh: Govt

177 security personnel die by suicide since 2019 in Chhattisgarh: Govt

Rediff.com17 Jul 2025

The Chhattisgarh assembly was informed that 177 security and police personnel, including those from paramilitary forces, have committed suicide in the state in the last six-and-a-half years. Family, personal issues, and health problems are cited as reasons.

How security forces gunned down 31 Naxalites

How security forces gunned down 31 Naxalites

Rediff.com6 Oct 2024

A cache of weapons, including an AK-47 rifle, one SLR (self-loading rifle), one INSAS rifle, one LMG rifle and one .303 rifle were also recovered from the encounter spot.

6 women among 9 Naxals gunned down in Bastar

6 women among 9 Naxals gunned down in Bastar

Rediff.com3 Sep 2024

With this incident, 154 Naxalites have been gunned down by the security forces in different encounters in Chhattisgarh so far this year, the police said.

10 Maoists killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh

10 Maoists killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com30 Apr 2024

Nine Naxalites, including three women, were killed in an encounter with security personnel in a forest along the border of Narayanpur and Kanker districts in Chhattisgarh on Tuesday, state's Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma said.

3 Maoists killed in encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh

3 Maoists killed in encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com25 Feb 2024

The security forces had received inputs about the presence of cadres belonging to company no. 5 of Maoists in Bhomra, Hurtarai and Michchebeda villages, he said.

8 DRG jawans among 9 killed as Maoists blow up vehicle in Chhattisgarh

8 DRG jawans among 9 killed as Maoists blow up vehicle in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com6 Jan 2025

Eight District Reserve Guards (DRG) jawans and a civilian driver were killed in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district when Naxals detonated an improvised explosive device targeting their vehicle. The incident occurred near Ambeli village while the security personnel were returning from an anti-Naxalite operation. This is the biggest Naxal attack on security forces in the region in the past two years.

Maoist encounters, IED blast mar 1st phase of polling in Chhattisgarh; 5 hurt

Maoist encounters, IED blast mar 1st phase of polling in Chhattisgarh; 5 hurt

Rediff.com8 Nov 2023

In the first phase covering 20 of the total 90 assembly seats, 223 candidates, including 25 women, are in the fray and as per electoral rolls, 40,78,681 voters are eligible to exercise their franchise.

Chhattisgarh: 10 Naxalites killed in major encounter

Chhattisgarh: 10 Naxalites killed in major encounter

Rediff.com3 Apr 2024

In a separate incident, a commando of the Central Reserve Police Force's jungle warfare unit CoBRA was injured when a pressure improvised explosive device (IED), planted by Naxalites went off in the district, police said.

Security tightened at Aurangzeb's grave amid calls for its removal

Security tightened at Aurangzeb's grave amid calls for its removal

Rediff.com17 Mar 2025

Following calls for the removal of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb's grave, authorities in Maharashtra, India, have increased security at the site. Visitors are now required to show identification before entering. The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) has staged protests and submitted memorandums demanding the grave's removal, citing Aurangzeb's history of conflict with the Marathas and his persecution of other religious groups. The caretaker of the grave has maintained that the situation is peaceful and that visitor numbers have declined since the controversy arose.

Aurangzeb's tomb declared a 'no drone zone' amid violence

Aurangzeb's tomb declared a 'no drone zone' amid violence

Rediff.com19 Mar 2025

Amidst growing calls for the removal of Aurangzeb's tomb at Khultabad in Maharashtra's Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar district, the administration has declared the area a 'no drone zone' and deployed additional security forces. The move comes after demonstrations and online posts demanding the tomb's removal, with some of these posts leading to violence in Nagpur. Authorities are actively monitoring and removing provocative content from social media platforms.

2 Naxalites carrying Rs 11 lakh bounty killed in encounter in Sukma

2 Naxalites carrying Rs 11 lakh bounty killed in encounter in Sukma

Rediff.com8 May 2023

They were identified as LOS commander Erra and woman cadre Podiyam Bhime, deputy commander of the same squad, Sharma said.

28 Maoists killed in Bastar; AK-47, SLR recovered: ANI

28 Maoists killed in Bastar; AK-47, SLR recovered: ANI

Rediff.com5 Oct 2024

As many as 14 Maoists were killed in an encounter with security personnel in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region on Friday, a senior police official said. However, ANI has put the toll at 30.

Malegaon judge transferred days before verdict; victims cry foul

Malegaon judge transferred days before verdict; victims cry foul

Rediff.com6 Apr 2025

Special NIA court judge AK Lahoti, conducting trial in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, has been transferred to Nashik just days before the court was likely to reserve the matter for judgement. The transfer order, issued by the registrar general of the Bombay High Court, will come into effect on June 9. The order directs the judge to finish judgments in all cases where hearing has concluded and to dispose of part-heard cases before handing over charge. In the last hearing on Saturday, judge Lahoti directed the prosecution and defense to wrap up the remaining arguments by April 15 and was expected to reserve the matter for judgement the following day, a defense lawyer said.

8 Naxals, 1 STF jawan killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

8 Naxals, 1 STF jawan killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Rediff.com15 Jun 2024

Eight Naxalites and a jawan of the Special Task Force (STF) were killed in an encounter in Chhattisgarh's Narayanpur district on Saturday, police said.